Friday, March 9, 2012

Finding My Life...By Losing It.

Matthew 10:37-39

“Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.  And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.  Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”

As I read those familiar words this morning, I was taken aback once again by the lack of “wiggle room” Jesus gives us.  Come on, Lord...did you have to be so harsh about it?  Couldn’t you have just said “those who sacrifice for my sake” or “those who give up a lot for my sake...”  Do I really have to LOSE my life?  Isn’t that a little extreme?

And yet these days, I feel that’s exactly what He’s doing...stripping me of the “life” I’ve built around myself for so long, in order that I might find the life He desires for me - the abundant life he promised.  This blog has been created for two purposes: 1. So I can journal thoughts I have through this process of “finding” my life as I lose it; and 2. Because I promised my Mom :)  I didn’t promise her a blog, necessarily.  But before we left the States, I promised her that I wouldn’t keep all this to myself.  Those of you who have known me for a long time know that I have a tendency to bottle up what I’m feeling and display a “strong, I-have-it-all-together” exterior.  It’s not only a temptation of mine, but it is very prevalent among people who live on the field.  I promised her that I wouldn’t do that.  So the second reason I’ve decided to start this blog is to give my closest friends and family an open door into my heart.  I know we don’t all get to skype or talk often...so anytime you’re wondering how we’re doing or how you can pray, you can know instantly, even with the time zone difference :)  I’ve only given a certain number of people access to this blog, because of the sensitivity of the work we’re doing; so please do not pass it around.

I am so grateful for the love and friendship of each of you.  Please don’t see this blog as a substitute for communication - only a supplement ;)  Love y’all!

2 comments:

  1. I love this :) I love your heart and your honesty Sarah! Keep sharing it! -Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed friend! Thank you for sharing - this has already met a tender place in my heart! Looking forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete