Saturday, March 17, 2012

Taking Our Hands...

So a friend of mine wrote a song that has been on my heart lately.  You may remember her from our wedding, but a friend of ours, Lindsay, from Moody has been blessed with the gift of music and is currently touring with Casting Crowns.  She has written many songs that have touched my heart.  Take a minute and listen to this one before reading the rest of this post...

Take My Hand, Lindsay McCaul

“Lord, didn’t you know that I’d be scared?  Couldn’t you see I was unprepared?”  I had in my mind what this lifestyle would look like.  I thought I had a pretty realistic idea, since I had been overseas before and have many friends on the field as well.  But we recently encountered a setback which had us wondering if we had heard Him right in the first place.  Are we really supposed to be here?  Are we really cut out for this?  The enemy whispers in our ears, “You’re unfit to be here.  You’ll never adjust.  You’ll burn out and go home.  You can’t hack it here.”  And for a moment, we believe him.  As Lindsay sings, “You (God) are telling me that faith is all I need, but fear is all that I can find in me.”  Then we realize that we’re succumbing to fear, to lies.

After all, we did hear Him “call us out into the waves and wind.”  We heard Him say it; we know He did.  When He first called us, we felt brave; we felt strong.  But now, now that we can only walk by faith...when we’re face to face with the reality that we aren’t qualified to be here...when we can only rely on His sufficiency...We just need Him to take our hands.

What is the enemy disqualifying you from today?  What has God called you to that you feel completely unprepared for?  A new ministry or job?  A painful or lonely road ahead?  Something that intimidates you?

Of course He knew we’d be scared.  Of course He knew we were unprepared.  But He also knew that He was sufficient for our every need.  He knew that although He won’t always give us reasons, He has always promised to take our hand...and that is enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment